Imphal Talkies

A short note about the making of Imphal Talkies (June 2008)

Composing music is easy, I mean financially and physically, but recording music is a real hard, particularly in a place like Imphal.



For the poor guys of the Imphal Talkies who don’t have a good damn guitar to strum in a studio, they really have to run hard to find a guitar that too among the bullets and barrels of Kangleipak's armies.

We were often disturbed by IRB (Indian Reserved Battalion)and Manipuri commandos, we were stopped everyday at Minuthong and asked what all we were carrying even if they saw it was just a guitar(which have killed the fascists in case of Comrade Guthrie's Guitar).

Our financial supports will surprise you guys... I was damn sure that I had to record my music... whether I had money or not....whether I had a guitar or not... It was the time I got some scholarships for my PhD on "Cosmological Inflation and Late Time Acceleration of the Universe". The scholarship really accelerated me to reach the Shallow River Studio, based in Imphal.

I thank the UGC (University Grant Commission) :) I may get expelled for misusing their fund so this should be kept hush hush hush, between us. And with a little help from many friends we finally emerged out as "Imphal Talkies" with eight recorded songs.

Why is it named Imphal Talkies? There was a time when movies were soundless. But came along the technology and the voice and sound and music, and then the new talkies across the world. In India, a talkies means a movie hall/theatre (but I'm not sure about other countries). In a way, Imphal Talkies the band represents a speaking Imphal/Manipur.

Yes, we have taken the name from the small movie theatre, Imphal Talkies a.k.a the Rupmahal Theatre, located opposite Johnstone School. This theatre played a big role in shaping up contemporary Manipuri theatre. Many great plays of great playwrights like GC Tongbra were staged in this theatre. As we love theatre and inspired by old/contemporary Manipuri literature, we name the band as Imphal Talkies. The band is also inspired by Beat Movement of America

Unfortunately there is no more Imphal Talkies now in Imphal, but the Rupmahal Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment